Understanding Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most severe and life-altering injuries a person can sustain. They often result from traumatic events such as car accidents, falls, sports injuries, and acts of violence. Spinal cord injuries can lead to partial or complete paralysis, chronic pain, loss of sensation, and other devastating complications that can dramatically impact a person's quality of life.
In Georgia, spinal cord injury victims have the right to seek compensation for their damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. It's essential to work with a skilled spinal cord injury attorney who understands the complexities of these cases and Georgia law to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible.
How Bourne Law Firm Can Help
At Bourne Law Firm, our experienced spinal cord injury attorneys are well-versed in Georgia law and have a deep understanding of the medical complexities involved in spinal cord injury cases. We work closely with our clients, their families, and a network of medical experts to build a strong case that demonstrates the full extent of the injury and its impact on the victim's life.
Our legal team will investigate the cause of your spinal cord injury, gather evidence, and establish liability. We will also work tirelessly to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring that they are held accountable for the fair compensation you deserve. If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to trial and fight for your rights in court.
Georgia Spinal Cord Injury Laws and Compensation
In Georgia, personal injury cases, including spinal cord injuries, follow a modified comparative negligence rule. This means that if you are found to be partially responsible for your injury, your compensation may be reduced by the percentage of your fault. However, if you are found to be 50% or more at fault, you may be barred from recovering any compensation.
It's crucial to have a knowledgeable spinal cord injury attorney on your side to help navigate these complex legal issues and ensure that your rights are protected. Our team at Bourne Law Firm is well-versed in Georgia law and will work diligently to build a strong case that maximizes your potential compensation.
Most Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can result from various causes, ranging from accidents to medical complications. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Vehicle Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents, including car crashes, motorcycle accidents, and collisions involving bicycles and pedestrians, are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. These accidents can cause significant trauma to the spinal column, resulting in severe and often life-altering injuries.
- Falls: Falls, particularly among older adults, are a significant cause of spinal cord injuries. These can occur from slipping on wet surfaces, tripping on uneven ground, or falling from heights, such as ladders, roofs, or stairs. The impact from a fall can cause fractures, dislocations, or compression of the spinal cord, leading to long-term disability.
- Violence: Acts of violence, including gunshot wounds and stabbing, can also result in spinal cord injuries. In some cases, the force of the injury can damage the spinal cord, while in others, the penetrating object can sever or compress the nerves, causing loss of function below the level of injury.
- Sports and Recreation Injuries: Participation in high-impact sports or recreational activities, such as football, diving, skiing, or gymnastics, can lead to spinal cord injuries. These incidents often involve falls, collisions, or sudden, forceful impacts that can damage the spinal column and its surrounding structures.
- Medical or Surgical Complications: In some cases, spinal cord injuries can occur as a result of complications during medical procedures or surgeries. Errors in anesthesia administration, improper positioning of the patient, or surgical mistakes can all contribute to spinal cord injuries.
Regardless of the cause, spinal cord injuries can have a devastating impact on an individual's life, often leading to significant medical expenses, lost wages, and a decreased quality of life. At Bourne Law Firm, our experienced attorneys are committed to helping spinal cord injury victims obtain the compensation they need to cope with these challenges and move forward with their lives.
Additional Benefits of Filing a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit
Beyond the crucial monetary compensation that a spinal cord injury lawsuit can provide, there are other positive outcomes that can result from pursuing legal action. These additional benefits often lead to broader changes that improve the safety and well-being of others in the community. Some of these changes include:
- Adjustment of local road safety rules: When a spinal cord injury is caused by a motor vehicle accident, a successful lawsuit can highlight dangerous road conditions or traffic patterns that contributed to the incident. As a result, local authorities may take action to improve road safety, such as implementing better signage, installing traffic calming measures, or redesigning intersections to reduce the risk of future accidents.
- New legislation making products safer: In some cases, spinal cord injuries may result from defective or unsafe products. By filing a lawsuit and holding the responsible parties accountable, victims can help raise awareness about product safety issues, which may lead to new regulations or legislation to prevent future injuries. This can result in safer products for all consumers and may even save lives.
- Improvement of workplace safety standards: Work-related accidents are a common cause of spinal cord injuries. A successful lawsuit can expose inadequate safety measures, training, or equipment within a workplace. This can prompt employers to improve workplace safety standards and prevent future injuries to other workers, creating a safer work environment for everyone.
At Bourne Law Firm, we understand the far-reaching impact that a spinal cord injury lawsuit can have on our clients' lives and the broader community. We are committed to pursuing justice not only for the compensation our clients deserve but also for the broader changes that can help protect others from suffering similar injuries in the future.
Contact Bourne Law Firm for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone else's negligence, contact Bourne Law Firm today.